‘Tainted beyond repair’: Supreme Court upholds Calcutta HC order cancelling appointment of over 25,000 staff in Bengal schools

Written by Nagendra Tech

Published on:


The Supreme Court Thursday upheld the Calcutta High Court order invalidating the appointment of 25,753 teachers and non-teaching staff made by the West Bengal School Service Commission (SSC) in 2016 in the state-run and state-aided schools, saying “the entire selection process is vitiated and tainted by fraud”.

A bench of Chief Justice of India Sanjiv Khanna and Justice Sanjay Kumar said, “The process is tainted beyond repair. The legitimacy of the selection process is denuded due to widespread manipulation and fraud”.

Reading out the judgement, Justice Khanna said candidates already appointed need not hand over the salary paid to them so far. Justice Khanna, however, said nothing after this period of termination and resuming of fresh service will be treated as vacant service.

Story continues below this ad

The court said a fresh selection process be initiated and completed within three months and that relaxation can be given to the untainted candidates in the fresh process.

The bench also fixed April 4 to hear the Special Leave Petition filed by West Bengal challenging the High Court order directing a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in the matter.

The SC had earlier allowed the CBI investigation ordered by the High Court to continue with the condition that no coercive steps be taken.

On April 22, 2024, the Calcutta High Court cancelled the recruitment of 25,753 teachers and non-teaching staff by SSC, ordering them to return their salaries with interest. The court also ordered fresh recruitment against the posts within 15 days. The bench, led by Justice Debangsu Basak, observed that the OMR sheets of Group C, Group D, Classes 9 and 10 were manipulated in 2016, making all the recruitments illegal. It added that the names of those who were recruited were included in the panel illegally.

Story continues below this ad

Challenging this before the SC, the West Bengal Government said in its appeal that the HC, instead of segregating the valid appointments which could not have formed part of the adjudication as opposed to the alleged illegal ones, “has erroneously set aside the selection process in its entirety”. It said that no case for cancellation of the entire selection process was made out.

“…The Hon’ble Court has, instead of separating the grains from the chaf,f proceeded to paint the entire selection process with the same colour of irregularity, leaving the state government, as an appointing authority and as the authority responsible to maintain the teacher-pupil ratio in schools, in a precarious position,” it said.

The state said the Calcutta High Court based on only oral submissions, “without any affidavit on record, has proceeded in a cursory manner”, and directed the cancellation “in utter disregard to the fact that the same will lead to a huge vacuum in the state schools, unless new selection process is completed by the SSC, especially when the new academic sessions is on its brim, leading to the students being adversely impacted”.

Ananthakrishnan G

Ananthakrishnan G. is a Senior Assistant Editor with The Indian Express. He has been in the field for over 23 years, kicking off his journalism career as a freelancer in the late nineties with bylines in The Hindu. A graduate in law, he practised in the District judiciary in Kerala for about two years before switching to journalism. His first permanent assignment was with The Press Trust of India in Delhi where he was assigned to cover the lower courts and various commissions of inquiry.

He reported from the Delhi High Court and the Supreme Court of India during his first stint with The Indian Express in 2005-2006. Currently, in his second stint with The Indian Express, he reports from the Supreme Court and writes on topics related to law and the administration of justice. Legal reporting is his forte though he has extensive experience in political and community reporting too, having spent a decade as Kerala state correspondent, The Times of India and The Telegraph. He is a stickler for facts and has several impactful stories to his credit. … Read More





Source link

Leave a Comment